SURO is an international youth leadership program designed to develop and train young adults in the bleeding disorders community who have the drive and ability to become leaders.
SURO was started in 2007 and is administered by Global Blood Disorders Foundation Inc.
- One-year commitment
- Participation in two sessions and an interim project
SURO participants attend two mandatory program meetings held over 1 year with an interim project conducted in between the two sessions.
Building the Foundation
Part I of the program will focus on teaching participants the basic skills they will need to become leaders in the bleeding disorders community. Specific activities will focus on:
- Team-building skills
- Communication skills
- Self-esteem activities
- The evolution of hemophilia care and treatment
- Tools for success
- Social media and video training
- Research and product development
During the time between the two SURO sessions, participants will be asked to identify issues in their communities that need support and define action plans to address them.
Defining Your Leadership Role
In Part II of the program, participants will have the opportunity to further build their leadership and communications skills and learn from one another by presenting their action plans. Specific activities will focus on:
- Development of key leadership skills
- Public speaking and presentation techniques
- Presentations on individual projects
- Community advocacy
- Introduction to frankly.net